Below is a list of some simple steps to prepare for a home inspection
Many of these items may be taken care of with little or no cost. Some of these items will indicate to the home inspector and buyer that the house has been maintained.
- Remove grade or mulch from contact with siding. Preferably six or more inches of clearance.
- Clean out dirty gutters or debris from the roof.
- Divert all water away from house: downspouts, sump pump, condensation drain, etc. Grade should slope away from structure. Clean out basement entry drains.
- Trim trees, roots and bushes back from foundation, roof, siding, and chimney.
- Paint all weathered exterior wood, and caulk around trim, chimneys, windows and doors.
- Seal asphalt driveways if cracking.
- Seal or point up masonry chimney caps. Install metal flue cap.
- Clean or replace HVAC filter. Clean dirty air returns and plenum.
- Point up any failing mortar joints in brick or block.
- Test all smoke detectors. Install CO detectors if needed.
- Update attic ventilation if none is present.
- Clean and service chimney, fireplace, or woodstove (provide a copy for buyer).
- Put all windows and doors in proper operating condition, including any cracked windows.
- Put all plumbing fixtures, toilet, tub, shower, sinks, in proper working condition. Look for any visible leaks.
- Install GFCI receptacles near all appropriate areas; test all present GFCI receptacles for proper operation.
- Replace any burned out light bulbs.
- Caulk all exterior wall penetrations.
- Caulk all tub/shower fixtures.
- Caulk along tub/floor, tub/walls, tub/shower/glass doors.
- Check that bath vents are properly vented.
- Remove paints, solvents, gas, etc. from crawlspace, basement, attic, porch, etc.
- Check that toilets are secured to floor.
- Check that toilets do not have condensation or cracks.
- Have clear access to all attic, crawlspace, heat systems, garage and other areas that will need to be inspected.
- If house is vacant be sure all utilities are turned on:
Furnace / Air Conditioning
Breakers in main panel